To work in the United States, non-U.S. citizens need to meet certain requirements and possess the appropriate authorization. The necessary documents and requirements can vary depending on the individual’s immigration status. Here are typical requirements for non-U.S. citizens to work in the United States

  • Work Visa: Non-citizens who do not have permanent resident status or U.S. citizenship typically need a work visa to be employed legally in the United States. The specific visa category will depend on the nature of the employment and the qualifications of the employee.
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD): Certain non-citizens may be eligible to work in the United States with an EAD, also known as a work permit. An EAD is obtained by filing Form I-765 with USCIS and is typically granted based on specific eligibility criteria, such as pending adjustment of status or asylum applications.
  • Social Security Number (SSN): Non-citizen employees authorized to work in the United States must apply for a Social Security number to comply with tax and employment reporting requirements. Employers should verify the employee’s SSN during the hiring process.
  • Valid Immigration Documentation: Non-citizen employees must possess valid and unexpired immigration documents, such as a valid visa or permanent resident card (Green Card), to establish their legal authorization to work in the United States.

Laws regarding eligibility to work in the U.S. can change at any time, and these changes may impact individuals planning to work in the U.S. as well as workers already in the United States. Global pandemics, political tensions, warns, and more can impact immigration rules.

Browse more Immigration law articles.